Scope of Responsibility and Accountability
The History Committee is responsible for documenting the history of the Society for Historical Archaeology.
- The chair shall be a member appointed by the president.
- The chair recommends appointment of the other committee members to the president.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares oral histories of past presidents, Harrington Award winners, and other significant contributors to the field of historical archaeology.
- Serves as a resource for individuals interested in the history of the Society for Historical Archaeology and the field in general.
- Prepares reports of committee activities for the annual and mid-year board meetings and the annual business meeting. Includes a review of the committee’s objectives, accomplishments, revised objectives for the coming year, and an assessment of long-range goals in the year-end report.
- Prepares annual budget request for submission to the treasurer.
- Develops specific short- and long-term objectives to further society goals. Implements activities to achieve the long-range goals of the society, as identified by the Board of Directors.
Articulation with Other Committees and Officers
- Reports through the chair to the annual and mid-year board meetings and annual business meeting. Includes in the year-end report the committee’s objectives, accomplishments of the past year, revised objectives for the coming year, and assessment of long-range goals.
- Requests support, as appropriate, from the Headquarters staff.
- Coordinates with the Curation, Conservation, and Collections Management Committee as appropriate.
Schedules and Deadlines
- Prepares and submits written reports for submission to the president and the secretary at least 30 days prior to scheduled board meetings.
- Submits annual budget requests to the treasurer by March 15 of each year.